With only 5 days left until online registration opens up for the CrossFit Open, we thought we better give you the whole scoop so you know just how much fun to expect!
The CrossFit Games (you know the stuff we watch on TV where all those jacked people compete against one another) happens in three stages:
1. The CrossFit Open (online)
2. The Online Qualifier (age groups) & The Regionals
3. The CrossFit Games in Madison
The CrossFit Open (stage 1) is the largest community event of the year. Every year, hundreds of thousands of athletes come together to compete in the worldwide, online competition.
Anyone – let me repeat - ANYONE aged 14 or older can compete. All you have to do is sign up at Games.CrossFit.com on Jan.11th and log your score each week. Workouts are released on Thursdays at 8pm our time, and you have four days to complete the workout for the week and submit your score. Scores are due the following Mon night. We will be completing the WOD’s AS A COMMUNITY every Friday night, starting FEB.23rd! If you happen to be away, you can schedule your WOD in with one of our judges anytime over the weekend, and into Monday.
The Open offers two versions of each workout, scaled and Rx’d. The scaled option makes the event all-inclusive. You get to compare your results to others worldwide, regionally, by age or within our own gym! An official CrossFit Games app will be available in late January, which will focus on your own personal performance in the Open.
At the end of five weeks, the fittest move on to the next stages of competition: the Regionals and the Online Qualifier.
Why would YOU sign up for this? Because it truly is FUN and a time to come together with the Mozomo community every single FRIDAY NIGHT for 5 weeks starting Feb.23. And we promise you, you WILL accomplish things you typically wouldn’t in a regular class environment. It just happens. The energy and vibe created by YOU guys is truly amazing and inspirational.
Here are some of the things I know you’re saying to yourself right now…and my answers to you ;)
“But I can’t compete with all the RX people!” – thats why there is also a scaled division so there is something for everyone!
“I am going to miss two of the Friday nights.” – don’t worry, we will fit you in on the weekend or on Monday before the deadline!
“Competing stresses me out” – don’t be ridiculous.
What does that even mean for you?
It means FRIDAY NIGHT FUN FOR ALL starting Feb.23rd!!!
Here’s all you need to know:
1. Sign up here (Jan 11) and compare your scores to EVERYONE in your age group from around the world – scaled and RX!!!
2. Attend our Friday Night Intramurals between 5:30-8:30pm, starting February 23rd to watch all your friends throw down. Maybe you don’t want to sign up online this year and ‘compete’ which is fine but you will still be doing the WOD anyways so you may as well sign up!
3. We will have 8 Team Captains (2 per team) who will be drawing for their teams from those registered for the Open and existing members (yes, everyone will be a part of this)!
4. Team Captains will be recruiting all members to sign up and book their Friday night’s off ;)
5. Teams will be encouraged to celebrate their spirit with ‘themed’ attire, noisemakers, signs, etc.
6. Points will be awarded each week as follows:
(a) 1 point for every athlete who completes an Open WOD
(b) 3 points for every athlete who finishes in the top 3 for both male and female
(c) 5 points to the team who displays the best “Spirit of the Open” on any given week.
7. Friday night intramurals will include a potluck for those willing to participate – this way you can snack while you wait ;)
This means that starting FRI.FEB.23rd, there will only be ONE class listed that starts at 5:30pm and that will be the FRI.NIGHT INTRAMURALS! If you normally come at 5:15pm, you can still come for then and warm up and do the WOD as normal – you will just be a part of a team on Friday nights! If you normally come for 6:15pm, it will be the same thing! This equals WAY MORE FUN!
Also, we would love to have more JUDGES this year so if you feel up to getting your online judges course, please let us know – we would LOVE the help!
This years Open is going to be HUGE – you will not want to miss out on the opportunity to hang with your fellow Mozomo friends and enjoy some friendly competition, food and fun!
MONDAY’S WOD – Jan.8th!
(a) 10min Squat Mobility
(b) 10min EMOM
Even Min – 5 Tempo Front Squat (3sec down, 3sec in bottom, stand), last squat of ea set hold in bottom for 15 secs
Odd Min – 7-10 Front Squat
*EMOM is light weight
(c) 10mins to warm up to working weight
Front Squat 5-5-5
*all 3 sets should be at 80-85% of 1RM!
*rest 4min bw sets
Front Squat 5-5-5
*Reps 1-3 of your set should feel like a 7 out of 10, with rep 4 feeling like an 8, and rep 5 feeling like a 9!
*add weight as you go!
CASH OUT (if time)
Max set UB Wall Balls!
*goal is 30-50
Rest 1min then…
Perform 50% of max set for time!